The Benefits Specialist is a key associate at Hope Network whose primary responsibilities include: The Benefits Specialist is responsible for the coordination and administration of all employee benefits programs. The Benefits Specialist oversees eligibility, enrollment and billing activities for a comprehensive employee benefits program which includes health and welfare programs, communication strategies, retirement plans, invoicing, data management and reports.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of job functions. This job description does not state or imply that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee is required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as assigned by management.
1. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential requirement of this position.
2. Responsible for the administration and management of all benefits such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, COBRA, Health Savings Account (HSA), Flex Spending Account (FSA), retirement programs.
3. Participates and collects information for audits, as necessary.
4. Presents ideas for additional benefits to the Sr. Director of Human Resources Operations.
5. Responsible for maintaining the company’s benefit administration software system.
6. Assist in ACA requirements including the integrity of the data in the compliance system, annual mailings to employees and IRS.
7. Collaborates with the Sr. Director of Human Resources Operations to develop annual communication strategy including open enrollment. Creates communication pieces to support the strategy.
8. Prepares reports by pulling information out of various systems. Responsible for summarizing the data and identifying patterns and trends.
9. Helps administer and review employee benefit programs, including the integration of benefit programs following mergers and acquisitions.
10. Leads and organizes informational sessions on company benefits including Hope Network’s annual open enrollment meetings.
11. Manages employee benefit files by ensuring files are updated, in order, accurate and properly documented.
12. Audits and reconciles invoices on a monthly basis making corrections / adjustments as needed. Obtains approval and forwards the approved invoice to Accounts Payable to ensure invoices are paid in a timely manner.
13. Completes payroll adjustment forms for employee refunds/deductions and collects premiums as appropriate.
14. Responsible for ensuring compliance with ACA, federal, state and local legal requirements. Understands and applies benefit laws such as COBRA, HIPAA, healthcare reform and other benefit related laws. Advises management on needed action.
15. Communicates, disseminates and explains information on benefit programs to employees and handles employee issues, problem solving between employees and vendors when intervention is required.
16. Administers the Tuition Reimbursement program.
17. Resource to employees and managers regarding benefit programs, forms, policies, and procedures.
18. Builds and maintains relationships with internal partners and external carriers/consultants.
19. Member of the Hope Network Wellness Team and contributes to the Wellness Newsletter and participates in Wellness events and challenges for the organization.
20. Supervisory responsibilities for other employees as assigned to include job coaching, counseling, performance appraisal and discipline actions, as needed.
21. Participates in and/or leads assigned projects.
Educational / Talent Requirements:
1. High School diploma, required.
2. Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource related field, preferred.
3. Certification in Human Resources (SHRM-CP / PHR) or Employee Benefits (CEBS), preferred.
4. General understanding of U.S. benefits-related laws and regulatory requirements, such as HIPAA, ADA, and FMLA preferred.
5. Strong organizations skills, the capability to exercise sound judgement and work well under pressure in order to effective manage priorities and meet timelines and deliverables.
6. Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with multiple and diverse customers in large groups settings and 1-on-1 interactions.
7. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attendance at educational workshops / seminars, participation in professional organizations and review of professional publications.
8. Ability to establish and maintain professional and effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, other departments and external entities each of which require cooperative efforts on both sides.
9. Detail oriented, accurate and able to maintain confidential and private personnel data.
10. Ensure all health related information is kept private in accordance with the Health Privacy Regulations published in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Work Experience Requirements:
1. 3 – 4 years of professional Human Resources/Benefit Administration experience, required
2. Experience with ADP Health & Welfare System, ADP Health Compliance system, and ADP EV5, preferred.