The PT Assistant is a key associate at Hope Network whose primary responsibilities include: Provide direct treatment/supervision to consumers receiving physical therapy in the areas of functional mobility, joint range of motion, positioning needs in wheelchair, and report difficulties of clients in response to environmental needs and safety. Model appropriate behavior and teaches life skills to consumers. Specific physical therapy programs will be set up and supervised by a licensed Physical Therapist and carried out by the Physical Therapist Assistant. Work with supervision according to Section 333.16109 of the Michigan Public Health Code.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of job functions. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee is required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as assigned by management.
1. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential requirement of this position.
2. Implement clinical goals of the interdisciplinary team for each consumer using approved program methods and instruction.
3. Provide treatment, including pool therapy, consistent with the evaluation as determined by the physical therapist and demonstrate successful outcomes.
4. Provide consumers, family members, caregivers and interdisciplinary team members effective instruction for optimal follow through with the care plan.
5. Serve as a member of an interdisciplinary team for assigned clients. Participate in client goal development, coordination of services, discharge planning and family education as needed.
6. Attend as scheduled and verbally present at team meetings, clinical reviews and in-services. Participate in program development.
7. Communicate with designated staff regarding consumer and program issues. Promote teamwork, problem identification and problem solving model, and promote positive morale.
8. Complete timely documentation of daily client records, home programs, incident reports and team update reports.
9. Promote daily cognitive development with consumers using notebooks, cues, and individual supportive assistance and structuring tasks.
10. Develop appropriate interpersonal style with all consumers.
11. Participate in program development under direction of the supervisor. Market PT services by keeping quality control and customer service at high levels.
12. Assist in development and improvement of department policies and procedures.
13. Schedule clients weekly as prescribed and report to supervising therapist any changes in frequency, status and improvements as needed.
14. Participate in the orientation and training of new staff, student interns and volunteers as assigned by the supervisor.
Educational / Talent Requirements:
1. Graduate of an accredited Physical Therapist Assistant program
2. Full licensure by examination to practice as a Physical Therapy Assistant in the state of Michigan and/or limited PTA license holder
3. Demonstrated ability to communicate in verbal and written formats to meet the position expectations
4. Demonstrated ability to work with consumers having special physical, emotional, social, behavioral and vocational needs as a result of neurological disability/TBI
5. Must be willing to work flexible hours on occasion – based on consumer needs
6. Demonstrated ability to design, implement, update and document consumer treatment programs
7. Ability to lift 50 pounds, complete transfers of consumers independently, bend, twist, and kneel to complete job responsibilities
8. Valid Michigan driver’s license and driving record acceptable according to HNRS policy
9. Ability to articulate and support the mission of HNRS to various audiences
Work Experience Requirements:
1. At least two years’ work experience with Adult Neurologically Disabled/TBI population