The Therapeutic Recreation Assistant is a key associate at Hope Network whose primary responsibilities include:
Providing Therapeutic Recreation clinical support services to assigned consumers, as directed by the CTRS. Assistant level services may include advanced skill sets in Lifestyle Fitness, Aquatic Therapy, Horticulture Therapy, Music Therapy, Outdoor Recreation and Behavioral Management.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
This is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of job functions. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee is required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as assigned by management.
1. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential requirement of this position.
2. Maintain a safe / healthy environment during consumer related activities.
3. Implement clinical and/or functional goals, as directed for each consumer, using approved program methods and instructions.
4. Support the primary CTRS in the development and implementation of treatment techniques to improve a consumer’s overall functioning, in accordance with their established treatment goals.
5. Communicate with designated staff regarding individual and programmatic issues/concerns. Update direct supervisor, and/or identified team members to promote consistency and continuity of programming. Attend team conferences, when appropriate, providing observational information for evaluation and treatment planning purposes.
6. Monitor/identify consumer progress and maintain accurate records of treatment through data collection and established documentation requirements. Complete timely documentation of all consumer records, including, but not limited to: incident reports, treatment notes, behavioral program data collection, etc.
7. Develop and engage in appropriate and effective professional interactions with all consumers, their support system and HNRS staff.
8. Promote teamwork. Address issues/concerns by recommending solutions. Model and promote good morale within work environment.
9. Perform tasks necessary for the efficient operation of the facility/program, as assigned. This includes, but is not limited to: participating in program development under the direction of the CTRS, maintaining clean work areas, organization of TREC storage and program areas, general pool maintenance and caring for equipment utilized in programming, etc.
10. Support marketing efforts by representing HNRS with appropriate professional behavior when engaging in community-based activity and/or when interacting with others when in the community.
Educational / Talent Requirements:
1. Minimum education requirement: Associates Degree and/or advanced certification in identified service area (ex. Certified Personal Trainer required when assigned to work with consumers in Lifestyle Fitness Program)
2. Self-directed. Able to work autonomously but will seek appropriate direction when necessary.
3.Current valid state driver’s license and acceptable driving record according to Hope Network policies.
4. Effective interpersonal/relationship building skills
5. Demonstrated ability to lead.
6. Computer literacy/proficiency.
Work Experience Requirements:
1. 1 year of combined experience in a recreation leadership position, preferably with special populations.
2. Demonstrated ability to work with individuals having special physical, cognitive, social and behavioral challenges.