The Assistant Billing Manager is a key associate at Hope Network whose primary responsibilities include: The Assistant Billing Manager manages his/her assigned units by directing and supervising staff to ensure all department goals are met timely. This includes distributing the workload to departmental staff as necessary and monitoring performance of individuals to ensure accuracy and timeliness for all department work completed. The Assistant Billing Manager also provides direct support to the Billing Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of job functions. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee is required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as assigned by management.
1. Review daily, weekly and monthly key metrics to identify trends or areas of focus; work with Billing Manager to develop, document and implement actiona plans, as appropriate, to address issues.
2. Direct, supervise and evaluate work activities of assigned departmental staff.
3. Establish work schedules and assignments for staff, according to workload, space and equipment availability.
4. Review and manage assigned staff’s time sheets and work records and provide constructive feedback and disciplinary action when necessary.
5. Meet with assigned staff on a routine basis to evaluate work performance and provide feedback and establish goals and expectations in team and individual setting using a metric system.
6. Ensure departments complete work timely for month-end close.
7. Assist in the recruitment, hiring and training of personnel.
8. Prepare weekly and month-end reports for Billing Manager and Senior Management.
9. Assist in the development and documentation of policies and procedures and communicating them with appropriate staff.
10. Maintains a high level of technical knowledge and expertise regarding current and pending regulations, legislation and the potential impacts on the billing and collections process/systems used within the Network.
11. Assist in the management and approval of billed SAL change requests in a timely manner.
12. Ensure that accounts receivable is an accurate reflection of what is collectible and that teammates identify and adjust uncollectible balances accurately and timely with appropriate approvals.
13. Responsible for the development of proactive relationships with internal and external contacts that will assure the various funder streams are collected in accordance with the established timeframes and guidelines of the contract including bad debts when applicable.
14. Participates in departmental projects as needed and required, including the development of new programs and services.
15. Assists with the annual audit process and its related activities as needed and required.
16. Miscellaneous duties as needed based upon the needs of the department.
17. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential requirement of this position.
Educational / Talent Requirements:
1. Bachelor’s degree in finance or on of the following certifications: CPC Certification (Professional Coder), CPB Certifications (Professional Biller), or CCS-P (Certified Coding Specialist-Professional).
2. Strong leadership skills with an ability to motivate direct reports.
3. Excellent teamwork skills.
4. Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, and internal personal skills.
5. Strong organizational and time management skills.
6. Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills.
7. Ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently and make sound business data-driven decisions.
8. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with internal and external customers.
Work Experience Requirements:
1. 1 – 3 years of experience in third-party and government billing systems required. Certified Coding Certification preferred.
2. 1 – 3 years of previous supervisory experience.
3. Demonstrated proficiency in the use of technologies: Microsoft Office, specifically in the use of Excel; Electronic Medical Records; insurance eligibility such as CHAMPS and Web-Denis; etc.
4. Ability to address performance or behavioral issues that are consistent with established policy and are supportive of the mission.
5. Ability to travel to other Hope Network sites when needed and requested; valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record.