The Medical Office Administrative Assistant is a key associate at Hope Network whose primary responsibility is to provide office and billing support services for the clinic. The Medical Office Admininistrative Assistant is pivotal in overseeing patient flow, patient documentation, billing accuracy and daily operations. This individual is also responsible to perform key tasks such as assisting with the intake process, EMR record and insurance maintenance, communication and correspondence with internal and external stakeholders, working assigned reports and other office functions as assigned. This individual, in conjunction with the Office Manager and/or Program Director, also demonstrates the ability to identify and implement front office best practices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of job functions. This job description is in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee is required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as assigned by management as long as the duties are lawful, ethical, and within best business practices.
1. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential requirement of this position.
2. Insurance verification and co-payment
a. Obtain and verify patient insurance information prior to intake and at defined intervals.
b. Obtain and verify funder authorization for services prior to service delivery.
c. Ensure patient record contains current insurance and authorization information.
3. Manage assessment and intake information
a. Create and organize packets with the appropriate intake information.
b. Gather and organize intake data from patients including demographic and insurance information, details from the referral questionnaire, and other patient information.
4. Provide Office Manager support as needed; including, but not limited to:
i. Run, review and work various billing reports as assigned
ii. Work with Clinicians to correct billing issues
b. Provide ongoing billing training to Clinical personnel
c. Assist Office Manager with other duties and special projects as assigned.
5. Provide Administrative support:
a. Provide assistance in returning phone calls to patients, family members, or other health care professionals related to billing and/or insurance questions.
b. Assist clinical staff with correspondence as assigned by Supervisor.
6. Provide Reception support as needed; including, but not limited to:
a. Customer Service
i. Welcomes and greets all patients and visitors in a prompt and professional manner.
ii. Answers the phone politely while using proper telephone etiquette.
iii. Responds to inquiries from patients, visitors, staff members and other stakeholders in a timely manner.
i. Schedule appointments for patients to be evaluated or seen by the appropriate clinician. Assist with the overall coordination of clinician schedules.
ii. Provide reminder calls to patients prior to their appointment.
iii. Facilitate patient flow by notifying clinicians and/or prescribers of patient arrival or delays and communicating schedule changes with patients and clinical staff.
c. Provide ongoing training to Reception personnel.
7. Record Maintenance
a. Utilize internal and external EMR systems to initiate, maintain and discharge patient records.
b. Follow all HIPAA and confidentiality guidelines.
8. Record disclosure
a. Manage the release of patient information in accordance with Hope Network policy and procedures in conjunction with Hope Network Leadership Center Records Coordinator.
b. Document patient record disclosures in the eCare system.
9. Responsible for keeping the front office and reception area clean and organized; submitting maintenance requests as needed.
10. Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Educational / Talent Requirements:
1. Must have high school diploma or equivalent and an Associates degree in Billing/Coding, Certification in Billing/Coding or Certification as a Medical Administrative Assistant.
2. Experience using an electronic medical record for a minimum of 1 year.
3. Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point.
4. Ability to type at least 60 wpm.
5. Strong written and verbal communication skills, bi-lingual preferred.
6. Ability to work independently and require minimal supervision. Must be able to relate to a variety of professional personnel and customers.
7. Good organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
8. Ability to use a variety of office equipment - including a multi-line phone system, copiers, fax machines, etc.
9. Ability to articulate and actively support the mission and values of Hope Network and the Center for Autism.
Work Experience Requirements:
1. Minimum of 2 years healthcare outpatient clinic experience required.