The Life Skills Coach is a key associate at Hope Network whose primary responsibilities include:
To provide Community Living Supports (CLS) in a variety of settings; community, in consumers home, and facility based, as per the authorized service and needs of person being served. An individualized setting, Home Help, and/or Respite Services may also be part of the this position. CLS staff support people individually or in groups to building natural supports, healthy relationships, community skills, safety skills, and daily living skills to help them achieve their goals. Staff assist person served to engage in and becaome an inclusive part of their community as per the service guidelines and their Individual Plan of Service (IPOS). Staff in this position support increased independence in all areas of life while advocating so that their needs are met and progress is made in their goals, dreams, and desires. Responsibilities include role modeling and training appropriate behavior and skills to the person served to help them achieve their highest level of independence. Ability to mentor and train new staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of job functions. This job description is in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee is required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as assigned.
1. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential requirement of this position. Successfully complete all required and applicable trainings and in-services including annual refresher and appropriate intervention techniques.
2. Provide input as requested in the development of the consumer’s treatment plans and goals.
3. Implement and participate in the clinical and behavioral goals for each consumer using approved methods of instruction and intervention.
4. Provide thorough, accurate, and on-time daily observational data and document using electronic record according to Agency standards.
5. Safely transport consumers as needed, report any vehicle maintenance needs, and meet criteria to drive according to Agency standards. In individual CLS, staff are expected to use personal vehicle that is properly insured and in good working condition for which they will receive mileage reimbursement per program guidelines.
6. Coordinate multiple priorities and have the ability to change tasks as needed to meet the needs of the program and or participants.
7. Ability to plan, schedule, and implement programming individually or for large and small groups in the facility and or community setting.
8. Support individuals utilizing the Culture of Gentleness approach and intervene in any crisis situation that arises according to established procedures. Physical intervention should be the last-resort method. Promote physical and emotional safety and wellbeing of all individuals involved.
9. Has thorough knowledge of fire and smoke alarm systems and all emergency evacuation procedures according to agency standards in facility based settings. In individuals home and or community based settings assist with emergency procedures per needs of person and as Plan of Service identifies.
10. Communicate and record health concerns in accordance with Agency standards and program guidelines. May administer and document prescribed medications and treatments as prescribed/directed by physicians in accordance with Agency standards in facility setting. In Individual CLS only monitoring, guideing, and assisting occur not administration.
11. Provide personal care for individuals who are unable to complete self-care tasks independently, per program guidelines/eligibility which may include: bathing, hygiene, skin care, toileting, bowel and bladder programs, feeding (including G tubes), dressing and transfers.
12. Maintain a safe working environment by: using proper lifting techniques, positioning people safely, safely securing people in their wheelchairs and addressing safety issues before an accident occurs. Also responsible for reporting any accidents, filling out incident and basic injury reports as needed in a timely manner.
13. Promote a positive morale among staff by modeling and encouraging effective teamwork and communications. Continually work to promote successful working relationships among all co-workers; alert supervisory staff of situations that may require further intervention.
14. Monitor, supervise, accompany and interact with consumers in their home, community, or program that is consistent with their Individual Plan of Service (IPOS) and the Culture of Gentleness.
15. Develop and maintain appropriate/healthy professional relationships with consumers while providing consistent follow through and enforcing applicable rules and routines of the home and/or program. Develop and maintain appropriate professional relationships with family/friends/guardians.
Educational / Talent Requirements:
1. Minimum Education required: High School Diploma or GED .
2. Ability to work with and respect individuals from various religious, ethnic, and social-economic backgrounds.
3. Demonstrated ability to take initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner.
4. Ability to lift up to 50lbs non-stationary weight. Ability to bend, stoop, twist, pivot and kneel while bearing weight of a consumer. Demonstrated ability to transfer individuals using proper lifting techniques. Ability to stand a majority of the eight-hour shift
5. Valid driver’s license, preferred (Driver’s License may be required by some programs)
6. Ability to complete all required training for the position, including annual trainings and professional development. This includes being certified in CPR/First Aid.
7. Demonstrates critical thinking/problem solving skills; responding to medical and behavioral issues in a respectful manner or that is consistent with treatment plans.
8. Ability to take initiative and action to respond, resolve, and report or follow-up regarding service/treatment concerns, outstanding issues with family or guardians that is consistent with organizational standards and expectations.
9. Ability to work as part of a diverse team; demonstrating respect for cultural differences. Can accept instructions from co-workers and provide direction when required, understanding that the intent is to assure the needs of people served are met.
10. Demonstrated ability to communicate in written, verbal and electronic formats to meet position requirements. Demonstrated basic computer skills.
Work Experience Requirements:
1. See specific program for career paths and experience (generally 0-2 years of related experience).