The Career Development Specialist is a key associate at Hope Network whose primary responsibilities include: Serve as an employment case manager for participants referred for career development and job placement. This includes providing employability skills training, career development and supportive services for participants, developing on-going relationships with employers and referral sources. The Career Development Specialist will function within internal and external teams to deliver seamless services to the participant and to ensure that positive relationships are maintained resulting in the optimum employment outcome for participants.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential requirement of this position.
2. Complete new referral eligibility, orientation and intake including administering, scoring and reviewing employability and interest assessments.
3. Maintain accurate metrics as required including timely and thorough completion of all necessary program assignments, progress reports, billing requirements, and other required documentation.
4. Maintain accurate record of services provided to participants using various computer data systems i.e. case noting, data entry, written progress reports.
5. Facilitate employability skills training including but not limited to: employability and personal responsibility and behavior workshops and resume’ development.
6. Interview participants seeking new employment and endeavors to identify career objectives suited to their abilities. Develop and update regularly individual strategies for overcoming challenges to employment using the Individual Written Placement Plan (IWWP) or Individual Service Strategies (ISS) with program participants.
7. Provide career development coaching in accordance to program requirements, current labor market and employer demands, and participant’s needs including but not limited to: accountability, positive reinforcement, and guidance.
8. Assess and determine if participant has completed program requirements and is eligible for Transitional Work, On the Job Training, Classroom Training or Competitive Employment Search Assistance.
9. Provide appropriate support services, including referrals to outside agencies, to assist in ensuring successful job placement.
10. Connect positively with community agencies and employers serving as liaison for participant to ensure appropriate job matches and to promote agency and its mission.
Addendum for Essential Functions if Applicable for multiple departments:
WEST CENTRAL WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT-YOUTH POPULATION
1. Works with appropriate personnel from community agencies and/or schools to provide program information and identify program participants.
2. Negotiates Work Experience Agreements with host work site and Limited Internship Training Agreements with employers.
KENT COUNTY WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT-EMPLOYMENT SERVICES COLLABORATIVE PROGRAM
1. Represents Hope Network within the community in the Employment Services Collaborative, a new United Way funded initiative consisting of a unique eight organization collaboration using the Human Centered Design model.
2. Lead Navigator for Hope Network within the collaboration, working with Navigators from the other collaborating organizations to develop the processes and systems used to best meet the needs of participants, measure outcomes, and gain future funding.
3. Responsible for program development in collaboration with outside organizations and agencies involving intensive operational and service development to shape and form how this collaboration will evolve.
4. Serves as the point of contact for WFD’s Transitional Work Experience (TWE) worksites. Will be the face of Hope Network WFD with employers (Plant Managers/Supervisors, Human Resource Managers/Recruiters, etc.) within the community; serving participants across Hope Network programs and partner organizations.
5. Develop community resources providing new and updated information to HN WFD Admin Specialist responsible for maintaining the community resource book.
Work Experience Additions:
1. Experience working with families with socioeconomic challenges
2. Experience working in collaboration with other agencies/organizations
KENT COUNTY WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT - TRANSITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE (TWE) COORDINATOR
1. Develop partnerships with employers by setting and keeping achievable commitment dates, understanding employers' product, requirements, and style of operating. Make our employers' vision/mission/goals, ours as well.
2. Negotiate, create, and vet through business agreements with potential TWE sites.
3. Recruit, screen and present qualified candidates for our TWE Site employers’ needs based on job descriptions.
4. Conduct phone based pre-screening and review of referred candidates to evaluate their skills, suitability, availability, compensation and understand their job preferences.
5. Manage the recruitment process based on changing priorities and employer needs.
6. Assist in verifying credentials, checking references, background checks, etc.
7. Schedule interviews, debriefing candidates before and after interviews.
Work Experience Additions:
1. Proven customer service skills.
2. Experience working with diverse populations.
Educational / Talent Requirements:
1. BA/BS in human service or related field from an accredited institution or equivalent employment experience.
2. Demonstrate ability to communicate in both verbal and written formats to meet position responsibilities.
3. Ability to work with diverse populations and individuals with socioeconomic challenges.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of current employment practices and opportunities.
5. Proficiency of Microsoft Office Suite including ability to type 40 wpm.
Work Experience Requirements:
1. Preferred minimum 2 years’ experience in Human Services, Human Resources or Workforce Development.
2. Preferred 2 years work experience with ex-offenders and or individuals with socioeconomic disadvantages.
3. Experience with data collection and report writing.
4. Past experience with managing a case load or assisting multiple clients with barriers to employment.