The Cook is a key associate at Hope Network whose primary responsibilities include: This position is responsible for preparing food in accordance with current applicable Federal, State and local standards, guidelines, and regulations, our established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the Director of Dietary Services, to assure that quality food service is provided at all times. Cooks may be required to work at one of the other Hope Network Behavioral Health Services facilities from time to time. Cooks are delegated the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary for carrying out all assigned duties. Cooks are also responsible for assisting in the initial and ongoing training of Dietary Aides.
This is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of job functions. This job description is in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee is required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as assigned by management.
1. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential requirement of this position.
2. Prepare meals in accordance with planned menus. Prepare and serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance. Serve food in accordance with established portion control procedures. Prepare food for therapeutic diets in accordance with planned menus. Prepare food in accordance with standardized recipes and diet orders. Document any menu changes on daily diet menu sheets. Make only authorized substitutions.
3. Prepare food in accordance with sanitary regulations, as well as our established policies and procedures. Assure that safety regulations are followed at all times by all personnel. Follow established Infection Control and Universal Precautions policies and procedures when performing daily tasks. Perform daily and weekly scheduled cleaning duties, in accordance with established policies and procedures. Assure that the department is maintained in a clean and safe manner by assuring that necessary equipment and supplies are maintained to perform such duties/services. Report all hazardous conditions/equipment to the Director of Dietary Services immediately. Report all accidents/incidents as established by department policies. Fill out and file report as directed. Assist in maintaining food storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner at all times. Dispose of food and waste in accordance with established policies. Wear protective clothing and equipment when handling infectious waste and/or blood/body fluids.
4. Assure that food and supplies for the next meal are readily available. Assist in inventorying and storing in-coming food (being sure to date all incoming perishable items), supplies, etc. Recommend to the Director of Dietary Services the equipment and supply needs of the department.
5. Develop and maintain a good working rapport with inter-department personnel, as well as other departments within the facility to assure that food service can be properly maintained to meet the needs of the residents.
6. Participate and assist in departmental studies and projects as assigned or that may become necessary. Attend and participate in workshops, seminars, etc., as directed (i.e. proper food handling, sanitation procedures, etc.).
7. Review menus prior to preparation of food. Inspect special diet trays and assure they are correct. Perform administrative requirements such as completing necessary forms, reports, etc., and submitting to the Director of Dietary Services. Coordinate dietary service with other departments as necessary. Work with the facility's dietitian as necessary and implement recommended changes as required. Assure that all dietary procedures are followed in accordance with established policies. Assist in standardizing the methods in which work will be accomplished. Assume the authority, responsibility and accountability of cook. Assure that menus are maintained and filed in accordance with established policies and procedures. Assist in establishing food service production line etc., to assure that meals are prepared on time.
8. Maintain confidentiality of all resident information.
9. Voluntary participation in staffing on-call rotation.
10. Able to perform all Dietary Aide responsibilities when staffing shortages occur.
11. Other duties as assigned.
Educational / Talent Requirements:
1. Must possess, as a minimum, a High School Diploma or GED.
2. Must be able to cook a variety of foods in large quantities.
3. Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language in an understandable manner.
Work Experience Requirements:
1. Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such actions.
2. Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel and the general public.
3. One (1) year dietary experience in a hospital, skilled nursing care facility, or other medical facility preferred.
4. Must be knowledgeable of dietary procedures.
5. Must possess leadership ability to coordinate kitchen responsibilities and duties.
6. Must possess a valid driver's license.
7. Ability to articulate and actively support the mission of the corporation to various audiences.